Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday Again in Shymkent

I actually got to sleep in today. It was the first Sunday that I’ve been here where my neighbor didn’t have an early morning visitor who rang my doorbell (which I still think sounds more like a carbon monoxide alarm although Julie seems to think it sounds like birds).

I met Julie for lunch and we decided to try Mozzarella again – we figured they’d probably have their power back by now. Ruth, I actually got something other than pasta or pizza. Are you proud of me? I tried the veal medallions with mushroom sauce and french fries.

After lunch we headed over to the mall across from the Mega to check out the souvenir shops. Julie and I are on a mission to buy every yurt in town. Then we made our daily trip to the Mega and then finally back home.

Here are some pictures of the places we’ve been:

Mozzarella (I think it’s the most upscale restaurant we’ve seen)

The mall across from the Mega


And of course the Mega


I also found a little bit of home here in Shymkent – a flower box that had Black-Eyed Susans – the Maryland state flower.

5 comments:

Julie said...

The chicken with oranges and parmasean was very good also. I'm getting a nice selection of souvenirs
Julie

GeneralMax said...

Glad you tried something new ans it was good.

Yesterday I got my first Auntie shopping experience. I went to a mall to get a gift for Erin's B-day and they had a great toy store. I went in to buy the toy with the balls that you pound on and they roll to the bottom. the good news is that they had it the bad news is that is for 18+ months and the lady said the balls could be swallowed by an 8 months old. Not one to leave empty handed I bought a whole set of balls like the one you bought him Abby.

Then I went to Costco and they had really cute blanket PJ's by Caters. i got the monsters with the monster feet and the Reindeer with the floppy ears on the feet.

Can't wait to see him in them.

Love, Ruth

Jamie said...

All I can say is buy as many souvenirs as you can fit in your suitcase. You won't regret it..So glad you have a friend there to spend time with..Probably makes you feel so much more comfortable walking around town. I know I wouldn't have venture out half of the places I went if my mom hadn't been with me. Hope to hear about some good court news soon! Jamie

Unknown said...

Finding the black eyed susans is great karma. See, Jake has been waiting for you all along. Hope you get your court date soon.

Nay

LaTonya said...

I'm so glad that Jake was feeling better when you went to see him Friday. I can't wait to see the souvenirs you bought! I'm heading to a bead show this weekend in PA, and I've already told my traveling companions that when we stop at the outlets on the way there, I have to hit up the Carters/Children's Place/OshKosh store to get some things for Jake!

Also, love the Black-Eyed Susans. It's another way the universe is telling you you were meant to be Jake's mommy. *g*